I have a tendency to make my life harder than it needs to be. Turning 39 is a prime example. (The number 39 is not a prime, but a composite number. I know because I had to look it up.)
Anyway, I recently turned 39 and felt a bit panicked. What about all those things I said I’d do before I turned 40?! The one that pisses me off the most is that I haven’t written a book yet, but then I’ve been raising kids for the past decade and making excuses far longer than that, so here we are.
I decided to make a list of The 39 Things I’d Like to Do in My 39th year, also known as My 39th Year Bucket List. I’m not a fan of using “bucket list” willy nilly though, because it implies that you will “kick the bucket,” and my anxious heart can’t spend too much energy on matters related to death.
THIRTY-NINE THINGS! Even AA has only 12 steps. I am ridiculous, but I will try for the sake of having a project. I have 305 days to go until I’m 40. Time is on my side, right?
1. Abs (never had ’em. Want to know what it’s like.)
2. Write something of substance
3. Stay at the artist’s retreat on the Island
4. Watch all of West Wing
5. Vacation with girlfriends
6. Translate an Armenian children’s story to English
7. Get on a 40 Under 40 list
8. Stop biting my nails
9. Read 39 books
10. Join a soccer team
11. Finish Anna Karenina
12. Work towards curing my anxiety
13. Go to NYC with Kate
14. 30 minutes of exercise everyday
15. Sit less
16. Get more pomegranate stuff in my life for inspiration
17. Plan my trip to Armenia with mom
18. Stop using my cell phone (no touching it) from 5-9pm and 6:30-8:30am
19. Try skiing or snowboarding
20. Go cross country skiing
21. Eat Ethiopian food
22. Get a proper website
23. Read all of Harry Potter series
24. Switch from a night person to a morning person
25. Finally cultivate a true writing practice
26. Do yoga at least once a week
27. Ride my bike at least once a week
Did I mention I haven’t quite gotten to 39 yet?